students will create a public service announcement (PSA) for an infectious disease, to be delivered via the Sentinel City radio station
Sentinal City ( Casper Park District) veterans, primarily white 63 %, Hispanic or Latino 17%, income 80,000, disabilities 6.8 %
Community health nurses must be knowledgeable of the mandatory reporting requirements of certain infectious diseases and be able to communicate in layperson terms about how to prevent the spread of disease. Infectious diseases can spread in a matter of hours rather than days or months. Diseases such as measles, pertussis, and tuberculosis have now reappeared and the incidences of these diseases are increasing, not only in third world countries, but in the United States.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is a government agency whose mission is to protect the health and safety of the people in the United States. One way this is accomplished is by mandating that certain infectious diseases be reported. It is important for nurses to not only be aware of the reportable infectious diseases that could occur in their own community, but also to be aware of the impact of cultural beliefs on health, so culturally-appropriate health education materials can be developed and accepted by the community for which the information was developed.
• Using information from the CDC, WHO, and other reputable sites–COVID-19 virus is potentially impacting your target population in Sentinel City® Community Health Simulation.
• Research the details of the disease using the CDC website and other sources.
• In a short word document or response to this discussion forum, explain the PSA to your faculty, clearly describe the disease, explain the chain of transmission and discuss strategies a nurse would use to decrease the spread of this disease. Include the CDC mandatory reporting requirements for the disease and address how this disease has become a global health issue. In other words, what concerns might be causing this disease to spread from the U.S. to other countries?
• After “walking” thru Sentinel City, pick a specific community within Sentinel City to target your PSA towards. Identify this community and explain why you chose this area within the City to target—who makes up the community, culture, language, socio-economic level, etc.
• Develop a 15-second (45-60 words) radio PSA that could be used in Sentinel City® Community Health Simulation to alert the residents about the infectious disease. Make sure the PSA is in layperson terms and include how to find out more about the disease.