Assessment 2: an individual essay on ‘Explain the infrastructure planning system in England, and critically assess the challenges of infrastructure planning in England with a case study of a major infrastructure sector’ (AIRPORT is not allowed as you have done so in your group project)
You are encouraged to also make use of international literature and policy practice throughout the essay in order to assess and contrast policy approaches and best practice, however, you should make sure that any international content is discussed in relation to the English infrastructure sector of your choice, not as a substitute for an examination of English infrastructure planning policy.
Hints: You should plan for the content and structure of the essay as you think fit (you are working at the Masters level and need to exercise your own judgement). Here are some broad suggestions to assist your planning of the essay.
Provide a succinct overview of the infrastructure planning system in England.
Critically discuss the challenges of infrastructure planning by first broadly discussing:
• The various planning approaches (both sectoral and spatial) used to deliver infrastructure and at what spatial scales.
• The challenges of improving infrastructure planning coordination.
Tie the overarching discussion with a specific major infrastructure sector of your choice:
• The main characteristics of the chosen major infrastructure planning sector in England (what are the main planning policies related to that sector, what is the purpose of the policies, who is responsible for implementing them, how are they funded, etc.)
• The differences in the design and application of the policies at multiple spatial scales (national, regional, local)
• The extent to which the chosen infrastructure planning sector is related to other infrastructure sectors (are other sectors mentioned, what are the wider spatial planning implications of the policies)
• Future areas of concern for the chosen infrastructure planning sector and what, if anything, is being done to address those concerns
Length: Max. 2,500 words (excluding references)
Type of service:Academic paper writing
Type of assignment:Essay
Pages / words:10 / 2500
Language style:UK English