This question is asking you to think about the relationship between internal and external sovereignty. In drawing upon Iris Marion Young’s analysis of the security state it is important to reflect on how the state is a product of protection. You might meaningfully explore the relationship between protection and sovereignty in your discussion. Additionally, Charles Tilly’s account of the origins of the state (statemaking as war-marking) might also generate a discussion on sovereignty as a ‘protection racket’. The focus on the external and internal domain raises questions about what happens when the internal dimension of sovereignty is contested (e.g. Kashmir, Timor Leste, Palestine but please, use other examples).
–> When marking, these are the requirement lecturers will consider:
the extent to which you demonstrate a capacity to analyse your chosen topic;
• the extent to which the remit of the assignment has been met;
• the range of research and collation of information and material;
• the structure and coherence of the argument;
• the clarity and accuracy with which ideas are expressed;
• the selection and correct attribution of sources in support of an argument.
Type of service-Academic paper writing
Type of assignment-Critical essay
Pages / words-10 / 2750
Number of sources-23
Language style-UK English