Final Research Paper notes and tips!
Based on the proposal you present in class, the final research paper will explore a particular case or issue area that relates to religious and/or cultural aspects of conflict and peacebuilding.
• A title and title page (page numbers, and word count at the end)
• At least ten quality sources, one of which must be a primary source
• Citations and a bibliography (APA style)
•Primary and Secondary sources only (articles, books, etc)
• Pages: 15-20 pages
• Style: Times New Roman, 12 pt. font, double-spaced.
• The essay should be written in full academic prose (with footnotes or bibliography)
Title: Religious Dialogue and Peacebuilding in Sudan
Course themes to be discussed in Essay:At minimum 4 themes should be discussed and may be used as subtitles)
- interfaith dialogue,
- religion in conflict and peacebuilding,
- case studies in religious peacebuilding
- religion as a peace resource
- global governance
- human rights
- Discourses between Christians and Muslims in Sudan
- Women’s role in peacebuilding in Sudan
1. Augsburger, David W. Conflict Mediation Across Cultures. Louisville, KY: Westminster/John Knox Press, 1992.
2. Dubensky, Joyce, ed. Peacemakers in Action, Volume II. New York: Cambridge University Press,
3. Hayward, Susan, and Katherine Marshall, eds. Women, Religion, and Peacebuilding: Illuminating the Unseen. Washington, DC: United States Institute of Peace, 2015.
4. Lederach, John Paul. Preparing for Peace: Conflict Transformation Across Cultures. Syracuse, NY: Syracuse University Press, 1995.
5. Smith-Christopher, Daniel L., ed. Subverting Hatred: The Challenge of Nonviolence in Religious Traditions, 10th Anniversary Edition. Maryknoll, NY: Orbis Press, 2007.
6. Smock, David R., ed. Interfaith Dialogue and Peacebuilding. Washington, DC: United States Institute of Peace, 2002. (Recommended)
7. Thomas, David C. and Kerr Inkson. Cultural Intelligence: Living and Working Globally, 2nd ed. San Francisco: Berrett-Koehler Publishers, 2009.