SHARP Essay Assignment – United States Army
-Inform learners they will write a two page (maximum) essay addressing SHARP from within the Army and making recommendations on how leaders at the SGT level can implement potential solutions.
-Your essay should address the question, “Why do cases of sexual harassment and sexual assault continue to take place in the Army, despite all the training and education that take place?
- Introduction (1-2 paragraphs)
- Opening statement
- Background information
- Purpose statement
- Body (2-4 paragraphs)
- (Point A) Why does sexual assault occur? Include supporting evidence.
- (Point B) Does our current approach to training reduce (or not reduce) the risk of sexual assault and harassment? (Could be tied to point A)
- (Point C) Supporting topic & evidence to support your thesis.
- (Point D) How do we end sexual violence in the military (recommendations/solutions)?
- Conclusion (1-2 paragraphs)
- Summarize the main points.
- Make a strong, memorable final statement.
- Essay must be 1-2 pages in length (title page does not count as a page).
- Essay must contain two references (ARs, personal interviews, peer review articles, etc.).
What it will be graded on additionally:
PURPOSE: The specific reason explaining why the document, correspondence, or report is necessary.
ANALYSIS: Breaking down a situation, concept, or argument into its individual parts to examine how they relate to one another.
SYNTAX: Clear sentence structure using all parts of speech, especially the use of active voice constructions instead of passive voice
CONCISION: The ability to infuse the greatest amount of information into the least amount of words.
ACCURACY: Using flawless spelling, punctuation, grammar, and mechanics. Also, fairly representing credible sources (citations) using course requirements.
Type of service-Academic paper writing
Type of assignment-Essay
Pages / words-2 / 550
Number of sources-4
Academic level-Senior (College 4th year)
Language style-US English